Poll
Question: Who should we name the award after?
Tony Blanco
Carlos Alameda
Adam Dunn
Dick Wiesler
Ham Diaz
Rocky Biddle
Mike Sperry

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Award Name Voting - Rookie of the Year Tony Blanco will be honored  (Read 3448 times)
Fairfax
Administrator
General Manager

« on: June 23, 2009, 12:19:32 PM »

Award:  Rookie of the Year
Player:  Tony Blanco (ROY in 2003 with Cleveland), most time spent with Myrtle Beach
Link to Players Catobase entry : http://www.thecblonline.com/website/players/b/blancotony416.html

Reasoning :

Hall of Famer Tony Blanco won the Rookie of the Year award while playing for the Cleveland Indians (I don't even remember us having the Indians) in 2003, and would end up being one of the biggest names in the history of our game.  Blanco's rookie line; 109 runs, 188 hits, 31 doubles, 87 rbi, 113 walks, a .312 Avg., .424 OBP, and .860 OPS.  And his rookie year was arguably one of his worst in his career.

A twelve-time All-Star, Blanco played for 18 seasons, and led the majors in OBP 10 times (including in his rookie year)!  Four other times, he finished 2nd, once 4th and once 10th.  His .421 career OBP is the 2nd highest in league history.

He would retire with a .321 career batting average (12th all-time), 3265 hits (4th), 672 doubles (3rd), 1662 walks (1st), 1696 runs (12th), and 4777 total bases (14th).  He also earned 4 gold gloves while playing first base.

=======================================================================================

In keeping with the spirit of nominating a one-year wonder...

Award : Rookie of the Year
Player : Carlos Alameda, MEX/Myrtle Beach, total 5 year career
Link to Players Catobase entry : http://www.thecblonline.com/website/players/a/alamedcarlos240.html

Reasoning :

Mr. Alameda joined Mexico City as a 34-year old rook in 2010, I'm assuming he was an import from the Japanese League (2010 was long before this writer joined the league, so I'm just posting based on what I can find in Catobase). He was a rare 40/40 player in that first year, as far as I can see the only rookie to do that ever in CBL.

As a rookie, all Mr. Alameda did was mash 48 homers, drive in 116, and steal 44 bases, batting .291/.365/.601 slg along the way while playing in each and every one of Mexico City's 162 games. As far as the "one-year wonder" tag, he slumped to 20, 94, .254 with only 34 steals the next year, and then saw action in a total of only 111 games over the next three years, one was Mexico City and two as a VERY part timer for Myrtle Beach, before hanging up the spikes.

He only hit 36 homers outside of his rookie year, failing to match that single first season total, and every single one of his "career highs" on Catobase came in that awesome first year. In his first year, he led Mexico City in 12 offensive categories, in his second, he led them in only two, and he was never a starter again after that.

** We outlawed Nipponsters from winning ROY after him, so I don't think he's going to get much support!

=======================================================================================

Player : Adam Dunn (COL)
Link to Players Catobase entry : http://www.thecblonline.com/website/players/d/dunnadam344.html
Reasoning : My one rule for choosing who to honor with this nomination is that the player has to be a HoF player.  Dunn definitely meets that qualification, however in addition to that when looking through the stats of all the RoY award winners, Dunn in my opinion put up the best all-round rookie season ever. He put up the most HR's, RBI's, and by far the highest OPS put up in a rookie season by a HoF.  

========================================================================================

Player : Dick Wiesler, SP NH (many teams)
Link to Players Catobase entry : http://www.thecblonline.com/website/players/w/wiesledick421.html

Reasoning : Wiesler won the 2004 Rookie of the Year in the American League, pitching in his lone season with New Hampshire. He went an amazing 19-6 with a 3.62 ERA in only 29 starts. He was promptly traded to Cairo and floated around the league for 13 more seasons and 7 total teams, putting up only 2 respectable seasons afterwards (15-12 4.55 in 2009, and 16-12 3.77 in 2012). His career was remarkable in only 2 respects, his amazing rookie campaign and how long he actually lasted in the league as a below average SP. His final career stats were 139-176 (120-170 after rookie year), with a 4.88 ERA.

Player : Ham Diaz (3B, IDA)
Link to Players Catobase entry : http://www.thecblonline.com/website/players/d/diazham867.html

Reasoning : I think we have our guy here. Ham's official rookie season was 2015 as an unheralded 30 year old rookie for Idaho. He posted a .330 19 HR 65 RBI .533 SLG .900 OPS line playing 3rd for the Beans, followed it up with 2 mediocre to horrible seasons before finding himself without a job and soon out of the league.

========================================================================================

Player : Rocky Biddle - Philly (4 years), USH for most of his rookie year, ORL for the other 12 starts his rookie year
Link to Players Catobase entry : http://www.thecblonline.com/website/players/b/biddlerocky677.html

Reasoning :

This 31-year-old rookie took the CBL by storm in 2015.  Perhaps inspired by the postseason and World Series heroics of a certain 33-year-old starting pitcher of a similar mold (read: Bud Glanville and, yes, I did have to work him in somewhere), Biddle posted an 18-8 record, with a 2.83 ERA, while racking up 210 strikeouts and holding opponents to a .238 avg.

While officially winning ROY for Ushuaia in the National League with a record of 14-4, a 2.81 ERA, and posting 131 strikeouts, Biddle also started 12 games for the Orlando Sharks (current Boston Red Sox franchise), where he went 4-4, with a 2.86 ERA, while striking out 79 American Leaguers.

Biddle went on to pitch for another five seasons, mostly with Philadelphia, where he was servicable but unspectacular.  As Noah stated in other posts, this nomination is in the spirit of Joe Charbenneau (who I had never heard of... much like Biddle) who put up one solid rookie season and then that was that.

Player : Mike Sperry (FFX)
Link to Players Catobase entry : http://www.thecblonline.com/website/players/s/sperrymike903.html

Reasoning : Sperry entered the league in 2003 as a 21 year old, and quickly established himself as the ace of a powerful Fairfax rotation for years. He put up one of the most impressive rookie campaigns in history, and his was without the aid of ridiculously favored home park factors. Sperry went 22-8 in 34 starts as a rookie, with a 3.14 ERA, and 14 CG. He limited opposing batters to a .206 OAVG and .287 OOBP.

For his career, spanning 17 years, Sperry won 273 games and had a career ERA of 2.99. He was a 4 time all star and managed to win the 2008 Cy Young despite spending his entire career in the Wainwright era. His 2008 season is arguably the greatest season ever for a CBL pitcher, going 28-1 with a 1.64 ERA in 32 starts.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:36:25 AM by Fairfax » Logged
Fairfax
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 09:36:37 AM »

Blanco wins
Marrakesh
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:43:08 PM »

Big-time comeback after Ham Diaz jumped out to an early lead. Consider this my grumble about an absolute majority vote.

"Lord of the rebel fiefdom"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: