Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bidding Comments  (Read 4483 times)
Fairfax
Administrator
General Manager

« on: June 25, 2012, 03:52:47 PM »

Don't comment on player threads.
Marrakesh
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »

I think the Campanos, Calderon, and Propst threads all started after the deadline to open bidding.

Also, geez, this FA class stinks. How can we get more players into FA?

"Lord of the rebel fiefdom"
New England
Owners
General Manager

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »

I agree with Noah.  This year's FA isn't worth much.. we need more Cuban defectors Wink
Fairfax
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 09:22:31 PM »

I don't mind more defectors as long as it isn't crazy.

The league is nearly 50 seasons in now. I don't think Markus had that in mind when OOTP5 was built. It has certainly evolved over time.

The options I can think of with FA :
- Add more "Cuban Defectors", i.e. adding more new players to the FA pool.
- Figure out something to make extending your own players more consistently expensive in a fair manner that doesn't require a ton of extra manual effort on my part. If there is a way to CSV extract OOTP5 player ratings (i don't recall if there is), I might be able to do something with a spreadsheet and formulas to create our own player demands based on ratings/stats/current contracts.
Marrakesh
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 11:35:05 PM »

There is an CSV export option for player ratings under Advanced Setup. We could go down the spreadsheet/formula route, but it'd be complicated (not that that is a fatal flaw).

Here are a few thoughts off the top of my head, from least to most complicated:
- Turning off arbitration years (in-game function) so that there's only 3 years of salary control
- Adding to the draft pool (I see we used to go 7 rounds...) should lead to more players making their way to FA
- Limiting a team to signing 3 or 4 extensions per season (4/yr x 6yr salary control = 24 players, for reference)
- Limiting the number of extension offers a team can make (HFTC has a 3 per player per year limit, GABL has a 3 per sim limit)
- Roster size limitations - could take many shapes or forms, and would only push out AAA-level talent or worse, but would add to the player pool generally
- Screening draftees to weed out loyal players (they being more willing to re-sign)
- "Restricted Free Agency" - would involve a complicated process where we look at every FA-to-be on May 16 to see if he has an asking price, allowing other teams to bid that up, giving the player's current team the right of first refusal or draft picks in compensation

Texas
Owners
General Manager

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 02:20:03 AM »

How about a modified 1 round Rule 5 type draft.  We don't have 40 man rosters, I think if we have a player over 26 without a major league contract in our minor leagues he could be open for selection by another team.  You can give major league contracts I believe in this version for as many players as you like.  It forces a team to pay a salary for those fringe AAAA types, if they want to keep them, it also will start their service time clock sooner.  It would open playing time to a bunch of players otherwise stuck in AAA.  It will also increase the number of F/A's by starting players service time clock sooner if they are protected by their original teams. 
Ushuaia
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 03:14:01 AM »

Some good ideas there but I'd go with a couple that might be easier to implement and monitor:

- Salary cap (it's built in OOTP but dunno if works properly -never used myself-): Let's say $80-85M. Last season's average payroll was $71M with 6 teams going over $80M. As of now it's pretty easy to extend anyone unless you go nuts regularly in free agency and your financials suffer. This rule would likely prevent teams from having $4M-a-year back-up players and reduce ballooned FA offers. Might increase trading and managing.

- Add a couple of players to the FA pool every year. Was reading a piece on Brandon Webb the other day and checked Cato to see how he had done in CBL. Never played. Thus, I was planning on making him avail as a Nippon import next season. Given we don't keep up with real players via player renaming, we could insert a couple of solid real-life players of late that we have missed and are unlikely to show up via renaming. Make them avail as 28-y/o, like the Nipponers. Guys like Webb, Edwin Encarnacion, Mike Aviles, Jason Hammel, Shaun Marcum, etc. 
Fairfax
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 09:49:53 AM »

There is an CSV export option for player ratings under Advanced Setup. We could go down the spreadsheet/formula route, but it'd be complicated (not that that is a fatal flaw).

Here are a few thoughts off the top of my head, from least to most complicated:
- Turning off arbitration years (in-game function) so that there's only 3 years of salary control
- Adding to the draft pool (I see we used to go 7 rounds...) should lead to more players making their way to FA
- Limiting a team to signing 3 or 4 extensions per season (4/yr x 6yr salary control = 24 players, for reference)
- Limiting the number of extension offers a team can make (HFTC has a 3 per player per year limit, GABL has a 3 per sim limit)
- Roster size limitations - could take many shapes or forms, and would only push out AAA-level talent or worse, but would add to the player pool generally
- Screening draftees to weed out loyal players (they being more willing to re-sign)
- "Restricted Free Agency" - would involve a complicated process where we look at every FA-to-be on May 16 to see if he has an asking price, allowing other teams to bid that up, giving the player's current team the right of first refusal or draft picks in compensation

I like some of these ideas, but I fear things like removing loyal players and knocking off arbitration hurt the low income teams more than it helps the league.

I do like the max of 3 extension offers per player and by making the offer # a mandatory part of the extension emails, it wouldn't be hard to implement.

One thing that is just a tweak on what TEX presented, and is scaleable, would be to pick a certain age, and if at the end of the year, a player is that age or higher, and in the minors, they are either extended a major league contract with a salary based on the team's payroll/revenue or must be released. It would be on the owner to inform me they want to keep the players, otherwise I just automatically release them (to keep down on the manual work).

I'm thinking a % of team revenue, or payroll (whichever is higher), so it is less expensive for small market teams to keep these types of players, and prevents high revenue teams from getting a break if they are running a low payroll for some reason.
Marrakesh
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »

I like both of your favored ideas, Eric. As for the age to start requiring ML salaries to be paid to AAA players, why not 26? It's an easy demarcation, because blue stars turn to gold stars at that point.

Marrakesh
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 10:58:14 AM »

And, still thinking about your/Rob's idea, 1% of revenue/payroll would make for easy math. One weird collateral consequence of that, though, would be that players that are promoted to the majors in the usual way would be making less (300k) than AAA veterans (roughly 400k-1.1M) with the 1% rule.

Alaska
Owners
General Manager

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 04:23:47 PM »

I don't think much needs fixing in this regard (though I remain a fan of a salary cap for general reasons), I can say I really personally dislike the 3 offers only rule as exists in HFTC, because it is quite effective in driving up salaries and increasing numbers of free agents.

If you really want to do something about this, not that I think it's needed, that rule woudl work rather well.

As for the other suggestion of assigning contracts to minor leaguers at a certain age: I don't see why they should make more than the league minimum.

A whole lot of stolen bases and runs scored since 2032.
Memphis
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »

this is the first dud of a FA class I've seen in some time, are we sure we need to do this?
Memphis
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »

or it should read, are we sure we need to react?
Alaska
Owners
General Manager

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 10:16:51 AM »

My feelings too actually.

Chicago
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 11:35:35 AM »

Don't like crazy overreactions...that said, my old league did have the extensions limit. It cut out a lot of the cheap utility guys coming back for 500k every year and occasionally forced a real stud into FA.
Fairfax
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2012, 12:49:53 PM »

Just discussing, not overreacting.

The only thing i'd lean towards at this point is the max of 3 offers per player in extensions. Saves me time too, and folks would be offering more money on average for extensions as a result.
Alaska
Owners
General Manager

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2012, 02:59:43 PM »

An eaasy way to track this could be an extensions forums. But then negotiations do become public. Still, given the media nowadays, what isn't public anymore?

Marrakesh
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »

Brooklyn should check out their Rivera bid. $12M x 5 isn't 10% greater than $11M x 5.

Brooklyn
Owners
General Manager

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »

oops...that was supposed to be 12.5M...thx
Marrakesh
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 10:21:20 AM »

Props to Colorado for playing the exactly 10% game on Noviatra (plus a $100 tip). I'm not alone!

Marrakesh
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 12:34:27 PM »

The Jones and Blaker auctions have ended.

Marrakesh
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 10:29:21 AM »

Everything's closed except for Ibarra, Woods, and Delgado. (Noviatra's done because there are no more bidders.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: