Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Nippon League Rules  (Read 1504 times)
Ushuaia
Administrator
General Manager

« on: February 20, 2011, 03:18:28 AM »

Main changes:

- Nippon League reports as a whole no longer will be available.
- Signing fee of $5M removed
- Bidding fee reduced to $2M
- Only one player available per season
- Available player might be a Triple-A developed prospect

New Rules:

The Nippon League is Japan-based parallel association to the CBL that's comprised of Japanese players and left-overs from drafts. Each year, right after the CBL trade-deadline has passed, ONE INTERNATIONAL FREE AGENT (IFA) (either a 3.5 to 5.0 gold-star veteran or a 4.0 to 5.0 blue-star Class AAA-developed prospect, Nippon League-wise) will become available to seek a contract offer to play in CBL. Only those teams that meet the following requirements will be eligible to offer him a contract:

1. Must own its 1st and 2nd rounders or, had him traded those away, be in possession of higher picks acquired via trade.

1. (Starting in 2049) Teams are required to own the pick(s) they might lose if they win the bid:
(Starting in 2054)
- A 2nd rounder if the team would pick in slots 1-11 1-8.
- A 1st rounder if the team would pick in slots 12-17 9-14.
- A 1st and a 2nd rounders if the team would pick in slots 18-24 15-20.

Had the team traded any of those away, needs to be in possession of higher pick(s) acquired via trade.

2. Must not carry any player originally signed by himself out of the Nippon League that will remain under the initial 3-year/5-year contract the following season. Thus, this requirement does not apply to teams that carry former Nippon League players acquired via trade or regular free-agency.

3. Must have at least $11 Million in cash on hand at the time of bidding.

Once the IFA is announced, his player card will be unveiled. It will only show his complete stats for the current season and the main stats for the previous two seasons, as well as his bio. The minimum salary per year the IFA is expecting to consider a move to the CBL, will be posted, too. Neither his ratings nor his talents will be unveiled.

Rules:

- Bidding Fee: $2 million to enter the bid and offer him a contract.
- Deadline for Bidding: Start of CBL playoffs. Bidders will not be announced at large.
- Contract Length: If a veteran, 3 years; if a prospect, 5 years. No more, no less.
- Blind Bid: The highest bid wins, provided it matched or exceeded the minimum salary per year expected. If there's a tie, the first team to bid would be awarded the player.

* Compensation picks: The winning bidder will compensate the CBL with pick(s) in the upcoming draft. The winner(s) of the pick(s) would be chosen through a random drawing from among the rest of the teams.

- A 2nd rounder if the team would pick in slots 1-11.
- A 1st rounder if the team would pick in slots 12-17.
- A 1st and a 2nd rounders if the team would pick in slots 18-24.

Arbitration: No player signed out of the Nippon League will be eligible for arbitration, regardless if he's a veteran or a prospect.

* Favor losing-record teams like this:

Those teams that had posted back-to-back losing years (the season in which the bidding takes place and the inmediate previous) will have a 20% advantage over the rest of the bidders when the IFA is a prospect. Therefore, the highest bid of any of those teams will be considered the winner if it lies within 20% of the top bid sent by a non-favored team, provided it matches or exceedes the minimum salary per year expected by the IFA. Example:

- IFA expects for 3M per year
- Bidders: Team 1 and Team 2 (who recorded back-to-back losing seasons)
- Team 1 bids 5M per year
- Team 2 bids 4.2M per year
- Winner: Team 2 as its bid is within 20% of the top bid and matches/exceedes the minimum salary expected by the IFA.

* Vacant teams

Interim managers for vacant teams are allowed to bid on IFA prospects (not vets) if their own teams don't/can't enter the bid that season.

a) Depress ability of veteran IFA's in their transition to CBL to mimic real life like this:

Pitchers: -5% in Hits, -15% in 2B, HR, BB and KO's
Hitters: -5% in Hits, -15% in 2B, HR, BB and KO's

Talent would be tied to ratings, so those reductions might result in lowering one notch eventually. Would use OOTP2 for that, a version that, differ to OOTP5, tied talent to ratings automatically.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 05:14:37 AM by Ushuaia » Logged
Ushuaia
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:52:38 AM »

Updated. Input needed.
Marrakesh
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:50:44 AM »

I don't like A; B is an interesting idea, but wouldn't the more logical effect be the reverse, where imports would prefer to join successful teams?

"Lord of the rebel fiefdom"
Ushuaia
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:44:21 PM »

I don't like A; B is an interesting idea, but wouldn't the more logical effect be the reverse, where imports would prefer to join successful teams?
Yes, but we want to achieve just the opposite: involve lower teams in this.
Alaska
Owners
General Manager

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »

Not really in favour of A either.

If you want to tilt Nippon league signings heavily towards lower ranked teams and make it very hard for good teams to get them, then that is exactly what you'll achieve with that. Whether that'd be a good move though, I don't know.

Because, as Noah said: realism wise players would want to join succesful teams and most importantly the ones that pay the most. Personally I don't think lower ranked teams should get an edge like that (they already have to give up lower compensation picks). The playing field should be level.

As for othe other proposed changes: they're all good changes. The only thing I'd like to see is more than 1 player a year. Perhaps one established player and one prospect each season? And to then get back to your proposal: perhaps make the playing field level for the star import and give lower ranked teams an edge to sign the prospect?

A whole lot of stolen bases and runs scored since 2032.
Ushuaia
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:39:12 AM »

Giving lower teams the edge to sign prospects but not veterans is something I'm going to consider. Seems about right in principle and salomonic.

Regarding the number of imports per year: I understand you guys would like to target what you need, but this should be achieved by trading within CBL. As I said before, the original spirit of the Nippon League was to fill a specific hole the CBL might have eventually. I want to get back to that spirit and have the Nippon League complement but not supplant. Thus, only one player per year. I will check the league throughout the first half to see what type of player we're lacking and the IFA would serve to fill that void, whether it is a 3B prospect or a LH veteran starter.

Regarding Nipponers' ability, the purpouse of depressing them is to mimic what happens in real life. Outside of Ichiro Suzuki, not a single Japanese player has put up in MLB the same kind of stats he posted in NBL. Some have feared well enough (relievers, mostly), but most don't live up to the hype at all, moreover if you consider the money invested. The rule would only apply to vets, but no trouble here if rejected. If only, I could give vets a 10% chance of keeping their ratings/ability intact to allow the poss of them being another Ichiro.

New England
Owners
General Manager

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:58:53 AM »

My two cents about the better teams/worse teams debate.  I have to imagine that it's the better team that do most of the bidding, anyway.  My team is borderline .500 and I was on the fence regarding bidding on a player because it was going to cost me draft picks.  I imagine this won't be the case if the player entering the CBL is a prospect, but I'd think it would remain that way if the player entering is a veteran.

Also... Hideo Nomo was a good Nippon import, too!  Don't discount the tornado!
Brooklyn
Owners
General Manager

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »

I dont care for A at all....B is fine with me though...I agree with the majority thus far there
Fairfax
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 10:52:20 AM »

I like A. Nipponers come in way too good generally.
Brooklyn
Owners
General Manager

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »

I like A. Nipponers come in way too good generally.

I agree some come in really good, but they are also advanced in age, compared to top prospects in the league....im fine with either way, but Id lean more toward a 'ney' on A
Ushuaia
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:13:17 AM »

Another thing that came to mind: allowing interim managers to bid on Nippon prospects (not vets) if their teams don't/can't enter the bid that season. Thoughts?
Alaska
Owners
General Manager

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 03:30:34 AM »

Sounds good.

A whole lot of stolen bases and runs scored since 2032.
Ushuaia
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 10:25:42 AM »

Final Nippon import rules.
Ushuaia
Administrator
General Manager

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 06:05:52 AM »

Compensation pick rule has been updated (2049 CBL season)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: